Extreme Cowboy Racing
Date TBA for 2023
Starts at 2:00 pm at the Leduc Recreation Centre
Extreme Cowboy Racing is the “fastest growing equine sport”. The Extreme Cowboy Challenge provides all ages of riders and horse breeds the opportunity to compete in a timed obstacle event. It is a fun, safe, equine sport for the whole family. The western spirit will encourage, respect, and support all rider levels. Come get a glimpse of the Wild Wild West here in Leduc.
Extreme Cowboy Racing is a diverse group of horse people who want to promote good horsemanship in a safe and fun cowboy environment. Their challenge is to complete obstacle courses with progressive levels of difficulty.
Extreme Cowboy Racing event started in the U.S. a few years ago and since then has been promoted as Cowboy Up at the Calgary Stampede generating tons of excitement.
“Don’t forget to “Ride Hard, Live Large, Keep It Extreme” and we will see you on the trail.” - Craig Cameron
Leduc Rep article about this competition. - Leduc teen was the youngest competitor at the 2021 Calgary Stampede.
Extreme Cowboy Challenge Courses
An EXCA Sanctioned Race
- Young Guns - Minimum age of 7- maximum age of 11.
- Youth - Minimum age of 12- maximum age of 17.
- Novice – 18 years & Over.
- Intermediate - 18 years & Over.
- Non- Pro - 12 years & Over.
- Pro - 12 years & Over.
- Ride Smart 55 years & Over.
- Beginner Youth
- Green Horse Division
Each obstacle shall have a 30 second time limit. The time begins when the rider approaches and begins to negotiate the obstacle. If the time limit elapses, a whistle will be blown and the rider must move on to the next obstacle.
- Archery Shoot
- Backing - Downhill
- Backing - Uphill
- Bareback Double Rider
- Barrel Jumps
- Barrel Turns
- Blindfold and Lead Your Horse
- Broken Jump
- Cache Hoist
- Carry Saddlebags
- Circles Big and Small - Slow and Fast
- Climb Windmill - Ring Bell
- Cow Sort
- Cowboy Curtain
- Daisy Chain
- Dead Fall
- Doubling (turning) into the Fence
- Flag Race
- Flares and Smoke
- Free Ride
- Ground Tie
- Hay Carry
- Hay Maze
- Hay Ring
- Key Hole
- Lead Across a Water Obstacle
- Leading Horse - from ground
- Log Crossing
- Log Pull
- Mail Box
- Move Golf Ball from one cone to another cone
- Narrow Bridge
- Open and Close Gate (rope gate or regular gate)
- Pallet Pull (Controlled)
- Pick Up Horses Feet
- Pin Wheel
- Pistol-Shoot Balloons (black powder mounted shooting blanks)
- Rifle – Shoot Balloons (black powder mounted shooting blanks)
- Pivot Pole Swing
- Pony or Lead a Second Horse
- Put on Easy Boots and Then Ride
- Ravine Ride (Deep or Shallow)
- Ride a Straight Line
- Ride Through Round Bales
- Road Flashers and/or Road Signs
- Roll backs
- Rope Livestock (cattle or horses)
- Serpentine Through a Pattern (built with panels, cones, ground poles or any object to create an S or snake-like pattern)
- Side Pass (logs, ground poles, or panels)
- Slicker or Tarp Carry
- Spearing Stationary Rings
- Stand Up in Saddle, Hit Tennis Ball
- Step-Down or Up.
- Two step-down or up.
- Three step-down or up.
- Tarp (Drag, Carry, Ride over)
- Teeter-Totter Bridge
- Trailer Load
- Trash Ride (trash between two panels)
- Water Box
- Water Carry
- Water Crossing (shallow or deep)
- Water Sprinkler